View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 21:58   #125
Penn
Area Commander

Ok. this in from a 2nd Bat NCO to butter bar via USMA

Quote:
So first off, check this out:

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=75154

Don’t know how they got it, but I know that it is legitimate.

The sad truth is that this guy was a history major. Professors - meaning uniformed Army officers - knew about his political beliefs and had challenged him on them. Unfortunately, the only thing that the academic side of West Point can do is certify whether or not someone met the academic requirements necessary for graduation. We don’t get to decide whether or not someone gets to commission, that is owned by the superintendent and commandant. Apparently, the superintendent was aware of this individual’s political beliefs.

I don’t have any good reason for why he was allowed to commission, but I have to think it has something to do with the fact that we are no longer following an “attrition model,” but rather a “developmental model.” Under the developmental model, we start from the standpoint that any individual can achieve and that it is incumbent on all of us to help the individual meet the standard so that he or she can go on to graduate. This model only makes sense in an environment where our admissions standards are no longer meeting the specific standards required to admit those who show the aptitude for commission service as a leader of character. Instead, our current admissions process focuses on achieving diversity (in all the forms that word entails) and by also prioritizing athletic ability for our varsity teams. Because of this, an attrition model can’t work. However, a potential consequence is the commissioning of this particular individual.

They will be very interesting to see if our admission standards don’t get a closer look from our civilian leadership because of this. I certainly hope they do, because I think our focus on who we admit is way off.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote