View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 23:54   #60
G2squared
Auxiliary

IMHO,
Keep in mind, Locks Keep Honest People Honest.
Small and affordable = easier to just take home to pry open while watching how to videos and drinking cheap beer.
- Is keeping documents and pistol locked up more to get a "check in the box" for security? anything with a lock that makes you happy will do this.
- Or are you looking to prevent smash and grab? Get something that is big enough for your needs and make it more difficult to find and haul away. Bolt or cable to a secure object. Hide in plain sight might also help. Most criminals want to be out quickly so won't dig too deep past the obvious places. And if they can't grab and go will probably leave it.
- Fire and water protection? file folder style document safe with key lock. bolt it to the floor in an inconvenient place to access to reduce the ease of prying to remove. Knowing that bolts through the chassis may(operative word) reduce the effectiveness of fire and water ratings. These types of safes are available at big box stores and can be had for under $100.
- Easy/"quick" access for handgun needed/wanted? Generally not fire or water rated and you need them to be conveniently located typically will be easier to find. Security varies as does price.
- With all of these the location, out of sight, out of mind, can contribute greatly to security.
- I like the between wall studs safes, but they require some skills or a friend with skills to install. Then cover with a picture/hanging rug/fake treasure map(real one is in safe).

I have several smallish pistol safes with electric and key backup. I like the Hornady RFID systems for quick easy access and they come with hardware to cable connect them.
I use a file storage fire and water rated safe with a key lock for business documents. But it's large enough for several pistols, a bunch of paperwork and the Grand Marnier Cuvee 1880.

If you do a search for safe cracking you'll find a couple locking systems that you might want to steer away from. Sentry Electronic locks get a lot of bad reviews, but they may have "fixed the glitch" since that flaw was discovered and plastered all over the web. Keep in mind though, a little bit of research and a few tools and criminals will be criminals.
Good Luck!

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote