View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 10:50   #28
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baht Dog View Post
TR spot on in above post with the layered security concept as he describes. I have a multi-layer alarm system at my place, with at least one of which is completely wireless (cutting phone or cable does no good). (I won't be specific in a public forum as to the exact details of my system and sensors).

If your alarm system isn't monitored, and you would be surprised at how many people discontinue their monitoring after the contract runs out, then that means your alarm system is significantly degraded. Having a siren is better than nothing but.....It also means that if you claim a discount on your insurance for having an alarm, then you have a problem since they all require that it be monitored by an established alarm monitoring company.
Spot on. One thing to keep in mind is that if you have access to the dealer/install code(s), you can switch to a cheaper monitoring service once you contract runs out. Currently, I pay around $9 per month. Rumor has it that Verizon will be adding central station monitoring to their new home automation offering.

I use internet based monitoring, so I rely on my FiOS line, ONT is in the house and the line is armored 18 feet up, with a NC loop from the alarm system in the pipe, start cutting and the alarm goes off

Modern wireless/hybrid systems are getting easier to install yourself i.e. double-sided tape and some basic programming, additionally, if you have existing wiring with an older or non-functional panel, you can swap out the panel(and sensors if need be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baht Dog View Post
Camera's are another important layer. Again, all high-security facilities use them...for a reason. Even the local store has 'em. Cameras are a significant research project in itself but the main thing to remember is you want off-site data storage as well. There are some very secure online remote storage companies. I like Spider Oak as everything is encrypted and they claim they could not turn over data even if ordered because they have no way to access it FWIW. Regardless, it's stored offsite of your place.

At your doors you want camera's that have microphones. There are a host of reasons for this, some obvious.

Another thing with cameras - depending on your exterior lighting, you may or may not need an IR source. If you do need IR lighting and motion activated camera you may want to consider having a camera, and then have the IR source separate. Many camera's come with IR source built in. The problem is, especially in summer months, depending on where you live, large insects flying at night can be attracted to a strong IR source and then cause the camera to keep false alarming which can eat up data storage space & even more annoying if hooked to interior audible alert & mobile phone alert. So, if you place a separate IR illuminating away from your camera but still illuminating the area that you want monitored. The downside to this is more rigging and installation time and expense. Not all camera's have this problem but some do and it's something to be aware of and consider.
Cameras have definitely come down in price over the years, but good cameras can get pricey. Case in point: One thing to consider with IR is the lens. Modern cameras employ lenses capable of picking up IR at night, the problem is that most cheap cameras use fixed lenses, which means that the daytime picture can get washed out by natural IR sources, i.e. the sun. When looking for a camera with IR, consider one with what is called an IR cut filter, this filter mechanically changes the lens when switching from day/night operation. Cameras with mechanical IR cut filters tend to be a bit pricey than their fixed lens brethren.

There are many other things to consider as well, CMOS vs. CCD, effective pixels, and TV lines. There is a lot material available for DIY camera installations, so make sure you read and heed before you buy.

My .02