View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 16:46   #24
Baht Dog
Quiet Professional

TR spot on in above post with the layered security concept as he describes. I have a multi-layer alarm system at my place, with at least one of which is completely wireless (cutting phone or cable does no good). (I won't be specific in a public forum as to the exact details of my system and sensors).

If your alarm system isn't monitored, and you would be surprised at how many people discontinue their monitoring after the contract runs out, then that means your alarm system is significantly degraded. Having a siren is better than nothing but.....It also means that if you claim a discount on your insurance for having an alarm, then you have a problem since they all require that it be monitored by an established alarm monitoring company.

Put another way, high security facilities used by the DOD and sensitive industries are monitored alarm systems and obviously some use armed guards. Why shouldn't your own system be?

Obviously with modern alarm systems you can also keep tabs with via your mobile phone monitoring features which just adds another helpful layer.

Camera's are another important layer. Again, all high-security facilities use them...for a reason. Even the local store has 'em. Cameras are a significant research project in itself but the main thing to remember is you want off-site data storage as well. There are some very secure online remote storage companies. I like Spider Oak as everything is encrypted and they claim they could not turn over data even if ordered because they have no way to access it FWIW. Regardless, it's stored offsite of your place.

At your doors you want camera's that have microphones. There are a host of reasons for this, some obvious.

Another thing with cameras - depending on your exterior lighting, you may or may not need an IR source. If you do need IR lighting and motion activated camera you may want to consider having a camera, and then have the IR source separate. Many camera's come with IR source built in. The problem is, especially in summer months, depending on where you live, large insects flying at night can be attracted to a strong IR source and then cause the camera to keep false alarming which can eat up data storage space & even more annoying if hooked to interior audible alert & mobile phone alert. So, if you place a separate IR illuminating away from your camera but still illuminating the area that you want monitored. The downside to this is more rigging and installation time and expense. Not all camera's have this problem but some do and it's something to be aware of and consider.

Nothing is fool proof unless you are armed-guarding your stuff 24/7 but we are talking LAYERS. If thieves see camera's, alarm signs, fences, dogs, gates, lots of good exterior lighting, multi-layers...then it increases the chances they will continue on and look for a less risky target.

The new generation digital locks are good. If you want speed of access, then that is your option.

I see Ft. Knox safes mentioned in comparison with Liberty, AMSEC and others. Ft. Knox safes are excellent but they are far higher in price as well. The value of what you are trying to protect is a factor. Higher quality always costs more. There is really no way around it. We all try to get the most quality for the lowest price. Quality doesn't always equal flash so obviously I would take the safe without the mirrors and interior lighting in exchange for thicker steel and larger anti-drill plate areas.

For 15 long guns, some with optics, I think you need a safe that claims it will store 40 guns at a minimum. Always more than double the size you think you need.

Last edited by Baht Dog; 10-24-2011 at 04:50.
Baht Dog is offline   Reply With Quote