Thread: SFAS Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51   #5
k-rub
Quiet Professional

Buy and read Get Selected by MAJ Martin. The book contains excellent information to prepare you for SFAS.

Buy canteen straws. Attach them to your 2 qt canteens and they will save you a lot of time instead of taking them off your ruck to drink once your 1 qts run out. They can be had at Ranger Joes. Also buy a real Camelbak mouth piece. They do not leak and have an on/off valve.

Be prepared to wear a ruck everyday all day while at selection. Learn to be comfortable in the suck.

Do not be afraid or embarrassed to go to sick call. It is not looked down upon.

Kit bags are good to have. You'll be living out of your bag the whole time and having something with a side zipper will make life a little easier than digging through your duffle.

Eat everything you are given, absolutely everything. You will regret it if you don't.

Always, always, always do the right thing even if nobody is looking. If selected and if you graduate the Q, you will be entrusted with a huge amount of responsibility. If you can't be trusted to follow simple instructions, how can you be trusted to carry out missions. The COL who gave us our selection brief gave a great analogy. He said if we can't be trusted to be faithful to our spouses, who we made a commitment with to God, then how can he trust us in SF.

Always have a good attitude. People will notice, candidates and cadre alike.

Do not self asses. Let the cadre take care of that. Do your best and do not quit. Also, take it one event at a time. Don't think about tomorrow or next week. Focus on your current goal. 25m target.

There is an incredible wealth of information about everything on this site. I read it everyday prior to SFAS. Something I did was put together a collection of motivational quotes from this site posted by the QPs. I read it everyday and whenever I needed to refocus my thoughts. It helped out tremendously.

Class 09-10
June 2010
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote