View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 22:07   #10
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Pumping the Brakes

Gents,

I'm going to have to put this project on hold. I've recently had a long time shoulder problem (significant bone spurs and torn rotator cuff) operated on and despite it having "healed", the recovery is another 3.5 months. Although my shoulders have been giving me trouble since I was medically retired, I wasn't aware of the damage until it was x-rayed and MRI a couple months ago. The VA didn't think the shoulder problems were service-related back in '09 but they're paying for them now, thankfully. The x-rays showed almost equal calcium buildup on the left shoulder and we won't know about any torn tissue until late Aug/early Sep, after which the docs will go to work on it. From what I've experienced with the right shoulder, this is going to put me out of the production game for roughly a year. What sewing I can manage right now is like watching a T-Rex trying to operate a sewing machine. And I can't do it for long before the shoulder begins to ache from the tension.

That being said, I have to back off of a production project like this. I'm finding out there's a lot more involved than what I'm used to. True, I'm not the one doing the manufacturing, but it's my design and I have to make more prototypes to be field-tested to ensure the templates are right, the assembly process is in the most efficient order and the product is sound. I also have to get all business-like and put together a website with social media, pictures, prices, links, and sizes and stuff. There are also a slew of other logistic components that I have to put in place before I launch this thing. I can't do all of it so I'm going to have to partner up with some friends of mine in order to make this work smoothly. The last thing I want is not being able to meet customer demands when this launches.

There is also the finance aspect of this. I've been doing this out of pocket and I need to shift gears back to my projects I had planned to develop, patent and sell for royalties. This project sort of popped up and I started going down the rabbit hole. I have been getting hit up by folks in the area for custom mod and repair work on river craft and other recreation gear, so that will help fill the gap. Small projects that require a little sewing or computer graphic work are about all I can handle right now.

I apologize for getting any hopes up. I'll keep you all posted as to when I'm set to go forward with this again.