View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 02:14   #13
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Have I missed something here, does the military now force religion on it's soldiers?
Well, simply put, yes. Each and every time someone is forced to bow his/her head for a farce of a prayer. I didn't have a problem with it back when I went through boot camp, because I was a staunch Christian at the time...but yes...it was most certainly pushed. Right up there with "You can go to church on sunday, or you can police the barracks. Only way you get to rest is if you go to church."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Look up the job of a Chaplin/minister/rabbi etc. It is to preach and talk to others about their faith. Notice I did not say push it on people but it is his JOB to talk about his faith, not keep it to himself.
That, I agree with. It is his job...and as I said, calling what he said 'hate speech,' is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I think the guy should be able to stand there in the middle of the service and preach his faith. Not watered down, not 'seeker-friendly,' and not PC. I think that is his job. I just don't exactly understand why there is a "Chaplain's Corner." If I want to get preached at, I'll go to the Sunday service. Then again, I suppose I always have the right not to read it...but can we at least have a "Physicist's Corner?" Clearly, that is a jest...really, though, yeah, my comment about not writing the article was out of line. It IS the Chaplain's job to preach his faith, and if he is given the space to do so in print, he should do so. He should also do so without fear that some idiot will cry "hate speech."

If the world wants to hear an example of hate speech, they should come talk to me, not a Chaplain in the service of a faith that truly does preach love for one's fellow man, regardless of what some of its practitioners do...

Last edited by Irishsquid; 07-27-2013 at 02:21.
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote