View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 10:39   #59
skibum
Asset

I have attended Rogers' Shooting School twice, in '02 and '05. His training does not address ROE or tactics, except to reload behind cover.

The goal of the training is to train the student to make solid hits on head-sized, fleeting targets from contact-distance to about 20 yards. There is also a VERY strong emphasis on strong hand-only and weak hand-only shooting. The standards for the weak hand are the same as for strong hand-only and two handed shooting (i.e., you have the same, limited time to hit the targets, at the same ranges, and to reload). The "blast drill" has you engaging all seven targets as they pop up and down, where not shooting = a miss. Doing the blast drill weak hand only is stressful and exhausting.

I think the cost of Rogers Shooting School, while high, is worth it, unless your unit/agency has comparable or better facilities and instruction for which you do not have to pay out of your own pocket. When I was there in '02, one of the instructors said that FAST company had just purchased a few ranges, and on my last trip, Bill Rogers (owner/chief instructor) said that Larry Vickers inquired about getting a few of the ranges for the unit he was in at the time (now, I'm just repeating what Bill said; I have no reason to disbelieve him, but I want to make clear that this is only hearsay on my part). Chuck Pfarrer's (spelling?) book, Warrior Soul, states that he was sent to Rogers' as part of his training in SEAL Team 6.

Cannot agree enough with comments about LEO vs. military mindset and tactics. And what's more, many (most?) LEOs don't know what they don't know.