View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25   #57
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Couldn't agree more with the last three comments. I really wish some of them (LEOs) understood the difference between the missions and the quality/quantity of adversaries. I also wish they wouldn't spout off about applying lessons learned in (poorly) structured paintball scenarios to military tactical problems. Please don't misunderstand - I'm a big fan of Force-on-Force training with non-lethal training ammunition and that includes all flavors: simunitions, airsoft, and paintball. I also believe that LEADERSHIP is responsible for conducting supervised, focused, goal oriented training that meets realistic mission requirements. (Paintball "wars" are not training.) The problem with most people training on the civilian side is that they have never operated against peer/near peer adversaries armed and motivated to kill. The LEO success rates against criminals and crazies (their normal adversary) has skewed their tactics to the point that encounters with genuine crusader types are usually disasterous. (Thank the Gods that they're also extremely rare.) If you want civilian training for personal defense, there are good civilian schools out there. If you want LEO training, the same applies. If you want military training, be careful. You may not get what you paid for. In fact what you paid for could get you killed in combat (above and beyond the normal combat risks). If you're looking to get training, do your homework first. Find a program that you feel will meet your identified goals. Go to the training, learn what they have to teach, and don't be afraid to to apply "critical thinking skills" to everything you see. Just because you paid for something doesn't mean you have to incorporate it in your "toolbox". Ahhhh - enough rambling. I'm preaching to the choir. FWIW - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote