Thread: Running shoe's
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 06:13   #22
Fatum Me Ducat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Since I don't see the Army changing APFT run time standards any time soon, I hope you can keep up your race pace while running barefoot.
About VFF"S
"In the meantime, they’ve been barred from use in the Army’s PT test. According to the U.S. Army Physical Fitness School, the shoes may provide too much of an advantage. “The Army Physical Fitness Test standards were developed wearing ‘traditional’ running shoes. The Vibram shoes ... may be determined to offer an unfair advantage during testing,” Army spokesman Paul Boyce said."

http://www.armytimes.com/offduty/hea...eshoes_101110/

Guess the army, with no evidence, is going to ban them saying that they make me too fast... I love how they don't say why they think it would be an advantage just that it is

As for me, i switched to vff's when i started having chronic hip pain due to bursitis in both hips. I really started upping my mileage and the pain was becoming unbearable. After hip injections didn't really work, I tried them out. I was a textbook pronating, heelstriker. So, the vffs forced me to shorten my stride and run with a mid-foot strike. Hip pain gone. I also do my traditional weight lifting in them as well as kettle bell workouts. I'll never go back. The only thing i hate about them is how i feel like a kool-aid drinking, cross-fit hippy running around Tacoma. The price is worth it though.
*You don't necessarily need to go with five fingers. There are other minimalist shoes that look more traditional but will still force the same gait corrections.

http://birthdayshoes.com/
there's some good info for those wanting to take the plunge into minimalist running
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true."
Fatum Me Ducat is offline   Reply With Quote