View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 18:03   #6
voxtel
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Great video/lesson. I am not, and have never served in an SOF unit, but I did deploy, and I did/do have some issues afterward. Call me a bitch, pussy whatever, but I sought help after I ETS'd. I never saw combat. My day was filled with boring BS fixing guns for the fine warriors that tread outside the wire daily to ensure OUR safety. My particular issue was/is with panic attacks. Apparently it's genetic, but it decided to show it's horrid face when we got mortared/rocketed one particular time. Bad time to have one as I'm sure anyone who has ever experienced one will know.

They got more frequent after I returned home and found myself in a situation where crowds were involved (walmart, grocery store, etc.). My wife had enough, and I had enough, so I went to the VA. The gentleman in the video was right. There are more doc's waiting to help you than there is Soldiers to see. I sought treatment, and it does help. I cannot imagine being in the shoes of an SOF let alone SF Soldier who has been in rotation after rotation, mission after mission. There HAS to be some side effect. I will continue to pray for you all, and if you feel something isn't right, just get 'er checked out. Can't hurt.
Nobody in their right mind would call you a pussy for seeking help. Especially not if they've ever taken indirect themselves.

I know how you feel bro. As a matter of fact I'm a former weapons tech (45B1P/91F) myself. I had an easy tour in '07 and saw very little action. My upcoming tour is of a slight concern though. I've reclassed into a job that puts me a bit closer to the two-way range and I have absolutely no experience with CQB.

I've known some hard pipe-hittin' dudes come home changed. I'm glad that the Army is finally doing something about PTSD. They finally removed the PTSD-related questions from SF-86.

The hardest part would be to steer the perception within the SOF units. I imagine the ultra-predatory alphas with no self-pity or tolerance for weakness (the type of character that usually makes it past all of the selections and assessments) may start viewing the psychological scarring as a badge of honor, as it has happened many times throughout history. (Remember the revered thousand-yard stare in the USMC?)