Thread: Honda 2000i
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 21:00   #11
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
If you search, you can find the details for a suicide cord, which is only to be used with the main breakers off in dire emergencies.

I would just say that if you measure the distance from your genset running location (outside) to your 240v. dryer outlet, get an appropriately sized length of cable for your output a few feet longer than your measured distance, a 240v. male plug for one end, and a suitable plug for your genset on the other, you can skip the scary alligator clamps and have a relatively safe connection method. Just remember to pull the main breakers, plug in the dryer end of your cable first and then plug the other end into the genset connection. Reverse that when you are finished. Never run a genset on your home circuits without disconnecting the mains or you could kill someone.

The priority loads for most home generators is sump pumps, well pumps, heating fans (for gas, most electric heating and cooling units will draw too much power for the genset), refrigeration/freezers, lighting, fans, small appliances, entertainment, etc. Without getting into too much detail, the medium portable genset should easily handle those loads, as long as they are managed and the electric motors in the load do not all try to come on at once. Obviously, dryers, ovens, stoves, heat pumps and strips, central air conditioners, large electric water heaters, large electric motors, etc., will exceed the capacity of the portable gensets. It is not good for the generator or the device to run overloads and it will burn something up if you persist.

If you had a couple of deep cycle golf cart type batteries, you could charge them off your genset (or a large solar array) and then use them with an inverter while the genset is off run the lightest loads, like fans, lights, radios, etc.

Another good technique is to use the solar powered LED driveway and walkway lights to light the inside of your house for a few hours each night. You could keep them on all night if you had a dozen lights or so outside, and you took the batteries out of all of them to keep a couple running inside all night. Just remember to put them back outside during the day to charge.

You used what you had to make life more comfortable, nothing was damaged, and no one got hurt. You didn't whine and wait for someone else to come do something for you. That seems like a win-win situation to me.

Congratulations.

TR
QP TR,
Thanks! I appreciate the compliment The dryer outlet hookup was suggested to me by a friend(who happens to be an electrician), however, I have nothing in the house that is 240, nor 240 outlets, except for the A/C compressor units which have dedicated circuits directly wired to the panel(they do have manual shutoffs though - discovered this the hard way the first week we needed A/C after moving in. interesting note: after power was restored, it took an extra week for 240 service to resume).

I considered a "poor mans" manual transfer switch wired in a similar fashion, basically a NEMA L14-30 receptacle wired to the main breaker bar with a manual throw in between, so once the power goes out: cut the mains, power up the generator, disconnect non-essentials, connect custom extension cord(8 gauge copper, male L14-30 on both ends) to outlet and genset, and throw the manual switch between the outlet and breaker, and enjoy.

I looked into solar powered LED based exterior lighting post-Sandy, ultimately didn't purchase anything due to cost(they are expensive). At this point, I will most likely be moving out in the near future, so I will look into again for my new dwelling once I relocate.

All in all, we did quite well considering, and my wife now no longer questions my prep work and related spending, so that's a plus That said, the sewage system in my house drains into the sump pit, so the pump acts as an ejector as well. This means I can't flush the toilet, shower or run the sink more than a few times without power, so for me, the genset was a must. Wiring it into the house was icing, but time well spent.

My .02