Thread: Honda 2000i
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 22:50   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
Speaking of the national electric grids, you all know we have 3...the eastern, the western and the TEXAN grids!

I have been thinking about getting a generator and I think this one just went to the top of the list. I had been looking at larger "house mounted" ones but this looks like it can handle a good size electrical load for a small amount of fuel AND its portable! And at $1000 or so cheaper than what I was looking at too.
Bear in mind that the portable emergency generators are great for small portable power needs, but require either extension cords run into your home, or the same sort of hookup that a larger generator requires to energize a few circuits. Obviously, you can pull the main breakers and use a suicide cord to backfeed the house, but you would have to disconnect pretty much everything but the dedicated appliance on those circuits to keep from overwhelming a 2KW genset. On the plus side, it is small, quiet, relatively lightweight, energy efficient, and handy. Down side is limited power, perishable fuel, expensive units, need to run several long entension cords and inability to power heavier loads (like a window AC unit, sump pump, well pump, or a big saw). Even the larger ones, like the 5500 watt Generac are not made for continuous operation. They are meant to run for up to a tank's worth of fuel, then need to cool off. Like any other internal combustion engine, they also need regular servicing with oil changes, air and oil filter replacements, plug changes, and periodic tune-ups. The whole house models have significantly longer run times and service intervals.

I still have a 5500 watt gasoline powered portable (and would love to have a little Honda for travelling use), but rely primarily on a 14KW whole house unit running off an underground LP tank. I can save the gasoline for vehicles and chainsaw use.

When that bad boy Kohler fires up for exercise once per week, I can hardly hear it in the house, and outside, it is significantly quieter than a lawn mower, even under heavy loads. I am considering building a wall or adding vegetation to muffle the engine noise further. No action required on my part for it to come on, though. I see the lights flicker three times, the power drops, and I start a ten second countdown from my chair. When I get to zero, the power and lights come back on with no effort by me. The big check for the unit, the transfer switch, (and the electrician) only hurt for a little while, but I expect my quality of life to be significantly better than my neighbors' when disaster strikes. If I were to run it for more than a few hours, I would notice it when the LP tank needed refilling though.

There is a place for the small portable, the large portable, and the whole house generators. Pick the one that works best for your needs (and budget).

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote