View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 11:58   #6
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

The Eagle holster is very similar to the Blackhawk Omega VI, except the Eagle has the extra strap which is nice. I like mine for some uses but have taken off all of the straps and by using computer case carrying straps made it into a bandolier holster so the weight is on my shoulder and the pistol is butt forward under the weak side elbow. This keeps it out of the way of my rifle or bow while I am hunting and the cordura makes no noise there.

I tired hunting with it in the drop leg configuration and all it did was let the pistol grip get banged every minute or so by my bow and the one thing you cannot tolerate is noise when bowhunting. Kydex would be a disaster for me bowhunting.

For competition I used it twice and had some bad habits which the range officers didn't like. I had gotten used to using my off side hand to reach around and hold the thumb break strap open while holstering the gun. This results in sweeping that hand. While I didn't personally mind doing that, it caused the ROs to caution me several times. Competition is so "stylized" for safety purposes that it has little bearing on combat. I also got cautioned for carrying the pistol at port arms.

Running recon, I carried a 1911 in a "gunslinger" leather holster with a hammer thong. It rode down where a modern drop leg now rides. I think I bought it in Chu Lai at one of the local shops and the leather was only partially cured and once it got wet, it and the pistol molded together very well. Being as the 1911 was the third from last resort (knife being next to last and running being the last resort, although sometimes it was the first resort), draw speed was not terribly important.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote