Thread: Rhinitis
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 09:17   #22
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
I may be simplistic but I reserve nasal steroids as a last line treatment. I used to think, steroids were wonderful. The longer I’m in the business, the less I like them. Steroids are steroids, whatever the form.

I deal with AR a lot in my practice. When I tell them it’s AR, they look horrified and cry, “But I’ve NEVER had allergies before.” All are from other places than AZ. I tell them, “You never have allergies until you have allergies. Just like you never have a heart attack until you have a heart attack.”

I treat with the second generation antihistamines first if nasal lavage has failed. I give them a list of the top three with instructions to buy the 5 pack to try as some react or don’t react based on their body chemistry. If the fail all, I suggest diphenhydramine 25mg TABLETS cut into quarters. 1 quarter q 3hrs to effect. This, in theory, gives the patient the antihistamine effect without or less drowsiness.

Then it’s nasal steroids.

I used to use kenalog IM, but have stopped due to the, what I call the “bullet effect”. If they have a bad reaction, you can’t just stop the medication as with tablets. They are going to ride it out or go to the ER.

If the Pt. is absolutely miserable and puffy eyed, clear mucous running out their nares, I’ll give them a burst dose of prednisone 20mg-50mg for 5 days.

Is any of this backed by literature, nope.
Aside from the proposal for OTC rinses, that goes almost the opposite direction of my practice - topical (nonabsorbable) steroids to the nasal mucosa is extremely effective in treating the symptoms without any systemic effects of steroids (immunosuppression, hyperglycemia, hypertension, and with long-term use, osteopenia/avascular necrosis) or other systemic effects of oral/injected medications.

If symptoms are disruptive to sleep, I recommend a trial of benadryl at night time given its propensity for making people sleepy. Leukotriene inhibitors (e.g.g montelukast) can be additive, but typically is more than is needed for rhinitis.

Systemic steroids is typically a last resort for me, whether they be oral prednisolone/methylprednisolone, IM kenolog, or any other systemic formulation/route of administration. Given the risk of both long and short term toxicities.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote