Thread: Rhinitis
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 06:30   #18
AF IDMT
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
If you know for instance that a certain allergen that the patient is allergic to is coming on in April, the patient should start taking his meds a couple of weeks prior to that; say March 15th.
I couldn't agree more. A little planning can do wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
2. I would send my guy with rhinnitis to an allergy clinic to find out what he is allergic to. Could immunology play a role in treatment?
Absolutely. I can think of no reason why is shouldn't play a role. Yes, ICS will take down the inflammation, as you said, and why not get the body to stop freaking out about the allergen in the first place. I can't remember the exact phrasing but I remember hearing, "Give them just enough medicine that their own body can take over and heal itself." in IDMT school. With a course of allergy shots wouldn't we be setting the patient's body up to take care of itself in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Patient compliance has always been an issue and your idea of attaching the medicine to a tooth brush could work. I would still keep an eye on him to make sure he's taking his meds.
I have a few "fire and forget" patients but the majority of mine need a little help now and again. The advantage I have is with such a small patient population I am GOING to see them again outside the clinic. Thanks for the help, Doc.
AF IDMT is offline   Reply With Quote