View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 21:52   #9
ccrn
Guerrilla

(MODs please delete if not appropriate)

Age shouldnt stop you if youre serious.

When I first joined (at 41 years of age) nobody, and I mean nobody was interested in me. Over a period of 18 months not one recruiter within three states of me would even speak to me over the phone. I finally drove 18 hours straight to Mobile, AL and demanded an APFT trypout at the line company there. They put me in touch with their recruiter right at the flagpole who I still owe a case of beer to.

I ended up going direct support, which I wont discuss here, but needless to say that involved another 11 hour drive, and refusal to leave until I was given a tryout. I dont know if anyone else here would recommend that you but I read two things on this board that never left me. Not in Iraq. Not in Afghanistan.

- "There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."

- "Dont leave or get in the duece and a half unless they duct tape your *ss and throw you in."

At one point I trained at the SOT-D (landnav) and was offered a chance to come drill with them for a few months. Unfortunately I was MOBing at that time and had made a previous promise to my team sergeant to not leave our team. Honor. Point is, I was several years older than you. So its not impossible. But the guys over there are going to have to see MORE than a 35 year old with stars in his eyes. I think to be 18CMF (or support them directly) you have to be called. Thats my opinion having supported them for 6 years in the field and in combat.

If you love strenuous exercise, MMA, running, and crossfit, you might have a chance. I had to maintain a 20-40 mile per week base to keep my run under 15:00 and my 5 mile under 40 minutes which is a must even for support to go to any schools.

Another tip: you dont have to enlist in your native state. And I dont recommend it. If you want to be in a specific unit, go join it in their state. I didnt live in any of the states whos units I was in. If 18x is your dream the best thing to do is enlist directly into the unit if they still do that, or go support and put in for selection that way. Its much, much easier. No conventional unit is going to want to pay for your reenlistment and training, only to send you off to selection. And its not fair to them.

Best-