View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 22:08   #4
ic2d
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
A 35 year old E5 with 14 years being able to start this, or is there some administrative reason that would prohibit me from doing this.
Sorry, long post. I couldn't help sharing my (very similar) experiences. I'm 36 and enlisted into the 19th Group a few months ago. They brought me in as an E5 with 10 years TIS (note: IRR time counts). Other than failing a Ch. 5 physical, there should be no administrative roadblocks.

A couple things you might want to consider:

--For breaks in service >3 years, you will be required to attend basic training again. See AR 350-1 Ch. 3 and SMOM 17-037.

--You might also be required to become qualified in a new MOS. I'm not exactly sure how those rules work (e.g. attending reclassification training), but you might be surprised at how few E5 slots are available in your desired state/unit. My options were pretty limited. (For what it's worth, I strongly recommend enlisting into an SF Group, even if you can't get your desired MOS. SF Groups generally have some incentive to send qualified folks to SFAS - an incentive that may not be shared by other units/commanders in your state.)

--Utah is not currently offering 18X/Rep 63 contracts to individuals with prior service. Other states might. Translation: I have no contractual guarantees that I will attend SFAS, and my attendance at an SFRE will have to be scheduled around BCT, MOS training, Airborne, and SFBCC-S (not to mention a full-time job).

--Utah runs SFREs pretty regularly - but not all states do. If you are unable to attend a given SFRE (or if you fail one), it might be a while before you are able to try again.

What's my point? You, like me, are not getting any younger. And depending on your state's rules and policies, your training schedule(s), etc., it may be a while before you're able/eligible to attend SFAS. I waited to enlist for several years while finishing a master's degree. I had my reasons, but now realize that I underestimated the amount of time it will take to go from enlistment to selection. Make a decision, and make it soon.

Last piece of advice - simplify your decision as much as possible. Don't waste time with "what if I don't make it" scenarios. You already know the answer: you'll finish out your enlistment, and when that time comes, you'll decide whether or not to stay in. For me, spending 3 years "stuck" in the NG seemed pretty low risk. YMMV.

Hope this helps!
ic2d is offline   Reply With Quote