View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 18:08   #4
Books
Quiet Professional

First, I would bring a gun. Actually, I would bring several guns and an understanding that you may find yourself on the other side of a mob with machetes who think you have something worth stealing.

I would think in terms of nuts and bolts. People who have been insulin dependent are screwed (no electricity to refrigerate insulin). Don't worry too much about the chronically ill. They'll be dead soon enough. Focus on those who were healthy prior to being wounded and whom you believe you can return to health.

I would pack a smattering of broad spectrum antibiotics to cover those who are allergic to one or another. I would have plenty of anti-diarrheals. I would pack water disinfectants (bleach would work, as would Iodine). I would pack splinting and bandaging materials, surgical debriedment supplies since you're going to probably have wounds which haven't been treated and have now festered and I would be prepared to amputate a few limbs from gangrenous wounds. You'll need fluids for irrigation. . . heavy to bring, but boiled salted water is better than nothing. . . Of course I would bring IV fluids and requisite catheters/drip sets.

I'm trying to gin up a mission to go as well so god speed and stay safe.

Books

- Jack Moroney