View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 20:52   #11
EricV
Guerrilla

Interesting to read about this system. I grew up in Delaware and it's been about 55 years ago now, but I remember watching a short movie on this. They used the two pole system in the film and it was produced by All American Engineering, a Delaware company. Saw it in the basement of my church of all places.

Earlier Personnel Recovery Systems

"Man Pick-Up Kit". The U.S. Army Air Forces used this contraption to snatch up downed pilots. It was developed and in use before the Fulton Recovery System. The Army Air Forces technical manual provided some details of this system.*1.* The first live tests were conducted in 1943 during World War II. Another name for this system may have been the "All American Aviation System".

Historical Note
All American Aviation, Inc., was incorporated in 1937 by Lytle S. Adams (1881-1970). Richard C. du Pont (1911-1943) became president in 1938, and the company began airmail pickup service in 1939. In 1948 the company became the principal feeder airline for the mid-Atlantic region, and was renamed All American Airways, Inc. In 1953 it became Allegheny Airlines, Inc. At the same time, the engineering and research units of the business were spun off and became the All American Engineering Company. This, in turn, became All American Industries in 1970 and merged into International Controls Corporation in 1982.

http://www.specialforceshistory.info...ry-system.html