Thread: Actor Dale Dye
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 17:00   #27
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Laotian parachutist badges are all similar in that they are patterned after the French wings because all three were once a part of the French colony of Indochina (Indochine Française).

If you look at the various parachutist badges throughout the world, you will find a similar pattern of their being copied from those of the major powers with which they were aligned, especially those influenced by France, Great Britain, and the USA.

All that being said, I'm still curious as to how Mr Dye came about wearing the ARVN wings.

Richard
Capt.(R) Dale Dye does not seem to be wearing U S Army Parachute wings on his dress blues. I do not think he would have attended ARVN parachute training without first attending the US Army Special Forces parachute training?The 5th Special Forces Gp. conducted parachute school and The Long Range Recon school in Vietnam. Since Dale Dye was a Marine, i doubt if he could get a slot at jump school, The only Marines that I knew that were on jump status were The Force Recon Marines & they were all jump qualified before going to Vietnam. ...TK
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote