View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 07:50   #12
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

Cables and Charger

Yes, I forgot those. I have a recharge pack with enough power to jump my truck. The extra long jumper cables are actually on the floor, with an end near the door. I learned the hard way when my truck had no power, the electric door locks don't work. Same for windows. Rear doors do not even have door lock buttons in recent years.

Maps... are located in a shoulder bag, behind the rear seat. Several Gazeteers for my state, all the way down to North Carolina are there. Nice thing about these, is they have topographic information, albeit in a smaller scale. They are extremely useful when having to select a route. Except when following a State Road in Virginia, as the bridge across the river was nothing more than a suspension bridge for a walking path. I learned that back in 2000 and had to retrace my route a good ten miles to get to a better route. Man from VADOT explained to me that if it is wide enough for a man and his horse, then it is a road.

My truck doesn't have GPS and the little Garmin I have is circa 2002. The military lensatic compass is great, though the tritium has faded. There are a few of the civilian versions in various bags and the camelbaks.

One of the best lessons taught to my wife and children is the ability to navigate. Reading a map, understanding land forms, etc., have helped us navigate around flooded areas and major traffic incidents, several times.

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote