View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 00:25   #2
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Work in progress

While in the course I stumbled across an '88 K5 and decided I needed a small project to keep my limited spare time occupied. It has been a work in progress over the last 3 years and considering I have been stateside for only half that time, it is moving along a lot slower than expected.

As for the truck: 1988 K5 with removable top (great for the summer since I am too cheap to fix the A/C and don't want to deal with maintaining it.
-Chevy 350 V8 bored .30 over
-Currently run 16.5 wheels with Wrangler MT/R mil surplus tires (great all around performance especially on the street and for how cheap I procure them for)
-Mud tires are 15inch wheels with 39 inch super swampers (swap these on when taking it out to the Lee County mud races, or when in uwharrie)
-Dana 44HD's recently rebuilt with 4.56 gears
-Rough Country 8inch true suspension lift with modified drag link and drive shaft / axle.
-Dixie horn, no clear advantage other than the hilarity that ensues
-Tuffy center console to store valuables / pistols / broken down AR if necessary.
-stripped the interior of the vehicle (it looked like a CSI crime scene when purchased because previous owner left all windows down for a year) and used herculiner bed liner to line it myself.
-multiple ammo cans bolted / mounted on the tire wells and in the bed of the K5

Recovery Equipment / tools:
-Hi lift jack
-exhaust jack
-tow strap and a snatch strap with front and rear mounts to hook up to
-expedient runway sheet metal that can be laid down in loose terrain to offer traction when tires are spinning
-on-board air compressor for inflating tires / tire plug repair kits
- wrench and socket set for every type bolt I have on the truck (was able to salvage from my larger mechanic set) and a few of the other more common sizes just in case i need to do salvage ops on other equipment, or to help a stranded motorist if we aren't in a post apocalyptic setting.
- spare fuses, gorilla tough tape, JB weld, exhaust mesh, metal bond, slime, wiring, tubes, hoses, belts, 5 quarts of oil, 5 quarts of trans fluid, WD 50, gorilla glue, 550 cord, 80 / 200 lb test, more duct tape (redneck engineering's finest tool), lighters, spare bolts / nuts (mainly for radiator housing, headers, exhaust mounts and other essential components) mechanix / heavy leather gloves.

Signaling:
-pen flares and road flares
-VS 17 panel / signal mirror
- a couple dozen chemlights in various colors
- inverter for USB charging of iPOD and plenty of Sammy Hagard, Van Halen, Iron Maiden etc. (far side recognition method, if you aren't a fan then we probably wont be linking up )

Food / water (stored in a tough box that is ratchet strapped down and water cans)
- case of field stripped MREs
- one week supply of freeze dried meals
- Whisperlite international for boiling water etc.
- 5 gallon water can for misc water
- 3- 1 gallon water jugs (sealed and rotate every 6 months)
- MSR Sweetwater purifier

AID:
- stocked aid kit with all the essentials and plenty of extra

Shelter:
- the truck plus a large tarp
- spare civilian wet weather gear
- spare set of pants / shirt / jackets / boots

Way ahead:
-multi mount warn winch for front or rear vehicle recovery
-KC light bar for the retro look
-dual battery setup with a much larger alternator (thinking 130+ amps but need to consult someone who can give me a no BS answer on what I will need to run the electronics)
-CB Radio
- Tuffy sliding drawers in the bed to securely store rifle / shotgun and additional ammunition.
- Would love to build an overland trailer based off of a mil-surplus trailer that could store a pop up tent plus plenty more essentials.

I am sure I am missing a few things as it has been a while since I was home. She's a work in progress and will surely never be finished.
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote