View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41   #74
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
etc etc etc
1. Started with Indian Guides (part of YMCA) then went into Cub Scouts and then Webelos.
2. Never went Eagle, know a couple who have, they are high achievers, goal driven, and success oriented. My nephew just recieved his Order of the Arrow over the summer. Webelos is as far as I went.
3. Instilled sense of community, sense of pride, and responsibility to self and others.
4. Not applicable, though it did have a bearing on military life in general.
5. About three years ago I was able to look at a couple of Scouting books from 1954 and compared them with my books which I still have. I was amazed at the shift in knowledge away from what Scouts of that era practiced. If you are able to pick up any of those books from 1954 (online, garage sales...) and share them with your packs/troops, I think you'll find it enjoyable and benificial.

Also, just as a side note...my Dad occaisonally likes to bring up, that "nine out of ten astronauts that set foot on the moon were Eagle Scouts."

Last edited by Sarski; 02-02-2011 at 11:33.