View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 13:04   #9
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
how about a surefire A2 aviator, or a streamlight twintask light with both a high output xenon light and long duration LEDs. Surefires are spendy, but worth their weight in gold.
That brings up a good point. I originally was talking about small, single-cell/single-LED lights, but advances in LED output have made some of the multi-cell/multi-LED lights a viable alternative to the venerable Mini-mag or old D-cell anglehead issue flashlight.

I don't have a Surefire LED light, but I picked up a 1 and a 2-cell Streamlight TwinTask on sale last fall, and have been fairly happy with their performance, especially in light (no pun intended) of their low cost. I would prefer a different switch system (the current one cycles between LED/Off/Incandescent/Off), but that's my personal preference. The incandescent isn't as bright as my SF E2e, and the LED white light has a noticable blue tint, but for ~$25, I won't complain too loudly.

Has anyone out there tried the Minimag LED replacement head? I've read about it a little at www.candlepowerforums.com , but I'd like to hear some feedback from guys that use their lights like I did, in the rain, in the mud, in the cold, etc.

TR, any particular reason you use both a Photon II and III? I'm not so keen on the IIs switch for constant on/off, and I like the strobe and intensity settings on the III. Have you ever tried the IR Photon? I wonder if its strong enough to use as an emergency strobe for signalling a/c. Also, I've heard rave reviews for the Tikka 4 headlamp; what do you like about the Fusion?

Last edited by Razor; 02-03-2004 at 13:07.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote