View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 20:00   #158
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Handy little interactive map of those in congress that either own guns, won't answer or say they do not.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...f_congress.htm

Seems favorable to not passing new laws, or showing the level of hypocracy in congress if something new does pass.
That's a very interesting chart....I hope they continue to push those 17 Democrat Senators who've declined or not answered. According to the Pew Research Center, 25% of gun owners are Democrats. Already 31% (16 out of 52) of the Dem Senators have indicated they're gun owners, which is more than their constituents, and I suspect the percentage is even higher than that.

But I know there are many gun owners, or people neutral to guns, that have fallen into the trap of condemning anything labeled "assault" or "hi cap". According to Pew, this is especially true of women, minorities, young people, urbanites and north easterners. The percentages are pretty clear. If we want to drive a grass roots effort, or drive the national lobby, it needs to be directed towards re-educating those groups on what the 2A means, and why the current gun laws are not effective in eliminating gun crime.

Pew Research Center article: [LINK]
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote