View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 09:14   #5
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Great post!

That type of thing has happened to me a few times, it always makes me tear up. Because it is not just me who is being thanked but every individual who has honorably worn this country's uniform.

A couple of years ago we were in Kyoto sitting at the head table surrounded by heads of psychiatry for various schools, universities, and VAs around the world. Sitting next to me was a man from Canada (Soma Ganessan) we chatted and I asked his nationality, he was Vietnamese and both he and his wife were from CanTho, VN. We talked for a long time and he eventually brought his wife over to meet me (not Nancy) who happens to be the famous one in the family, they both were in tears attempting to express their admiration, appreciation, and thanks to me, but in actuality to all the Americans who served in Vietnam. They ended up being imprisoned for a goodly amount of time until they were able to somehow escape to freedom. We 3 stood in the middle of the floor and hugged each other the tears flowing freely, and unashamedly.

Terry