View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 21:44   #17
PSM
Area Commander

I just remembered this: I was stationed at a Special Ammo site on Oki. All of our work areas, except the mess hall, were huge blast bunkers. Outside each platoon barracks was a blast shelter. In 18 months we never had an attack drill.

When I first got to the company I couldn't find the orderly room. Everyone kept pointing at this little structure that was an incinerator. I finally found a hole with steps leading down about 20' to a blast door. I entered and found a shower room and another blast door. I couldn't open the second door until the first was closed. This opened into the comm, crypto, orderly, XO, and CO's rooms.

When I learned what the "special ammo" was and why all sensitive work areas were in bunkers, I checked out the shelters outside the barracks. Man! If attacked I definitely wanted to be at work because the shelters had nothing except rows of benches. They had a single blast door instead of two like the work areas and they didn't have supplies or lighting. Granted each barrack had a c-rat locker and we all had flashlights but, like I said, no drills.

BTW, NoKo was the threat then, too. I arrived just a couple of months after the Pueblo capture.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote