View Single Post
Old 07-04-2021, 03:58   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Information I've not yet seen on these lights includes performance in fog and extreme temperatures (They use a blue laser as the exciter which as I recall from my laser studies years ago had problems at temperature extremes.)
I'm interested going forward to see the purposes for which it's implemented (see, be seen). I'm skeptical of enhanced fog performance as refraction from the moisture back to the eye isn't (to me) going to be mitigated by the light. That characteristic is what it is. In terms of the 'see' part, the unaided eye can only resolve detail out to a certain distance even in broad daylight.

The 'be seen' aspect could be interesting. I recall the change on police vehicles from traditional bubble-gum machine to LEDs. You could see one of those making a traffic stop on a straight stretch of highway 5 miles away now, which caused everyone to start slowing down & pulling over... 5 miles away. Then again, incandescent or halogen spot lights on barges on the Mississippi in fog could use some serious help. Interesting stuff, thanks for the heads-up.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote