Thread: Micro-NMR (MRI)
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:06   #2
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

I work in both oncology and do research in biomarkers. This test looks promising and interesting, but I don't think it has much application in cancer diagnostics outside of a hospital that can support surgical biopsies and/or radiologic-guided (think x-ray or ultrasound pictures showing you where your needle is going) biopsies.

The article is arguing that NMR can be superior to IHC in diagnosing an unknown cancer that is within a limited differential diagnosis based upon location of the presumed primary tumor and pattern of spread of disease. I would argue they should be complimentary and not mutually exclusive of each other. Making the diagnosis is one thing - knowing if there may be benefits of treatment "A" over treatment "B" is an entirely different matter which requires analysis of DNA mutations within a tumor, areas within the tumor that look different from the others as well as looking for specific cellular markers.

Perhaps someone with more wilderness/field medicine training and experience than myself could elaborate on the potential benefit of biomarker analysis in the field ? I just don't see the need for such fine-tuned diagnostics in an area of medicine where the need is to stabilize and maintain/mobilize to the nearest medical station environment.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville

Last edited by PedOncoDoc; 03-08-2011 at 12:09.
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote