View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 15:32   #38
txzen
BANNED USER

Mr Bain's reply

Dear Txen,

At the time I sold my rights out to Pinnacle Armo we had not progressed to the point where we would be making a serious bid for Artlicle One testing. The systems worked, the next generations was already planned, and the only conditioning tests that we had to pass at the time was a water immersion test. That was fairly straight forward. We used light weight Nylon fabric with the same amount of urethane coating as a boyancy comepensator and then ultrasonically welded the system inside this water proof cover.

We had sold some to SOCOM as well and again the issue of heat was never presented.

As far as placing the tiles into an individual envelop of fabric rather than using glue and fabric, it is possible, but a sewing nightmare, and of course placing all the tile in place is another time thief to high production manufacturing. I guess that might be a viable way to go, but I would think that the adhesive method will be tried again until it doesn't or does prove out. It's faster, cheaper, and easier.

We are experimenting with an adhesive for niche applications that seems to have this problem solved, we'll see.

As for the discs, why did they only fall in one area, I can't confirm this as a fact, one possible explaination is one section was light on adhesive and the fabric sandwich separated and allowed some tiles to fall and stack up on area where the glue didn't fail, but this is conjecture because I don't know exactly how the tiles looked after the heat exposure. I don't trust what Pinnacle states as an explaination because I spent the majority part of the 1990's using adhesive coated fabrics to affix everything from squares to hexagons in various matricies, and one thing was certain, if the glue wasn't right we knew it, it wasn't some difficult thing to see. We knew it. If what Pinnacle Armor is saying is true, which I doubt anyway, take responsibility for not having your staff up to specs in training. I mean look, if I were Mr. Neal, the 30 units that I sent to the military for evaluation would have been personally inspected and double checked. This was his first and supposedly best foot forward.

I say "Manup", take responsibility instead of crying foul all the time, if your stuff is good you will get another chance, especially if you aren't accusing the Army and it's evaluators of being crooked all the time. It's about diplomacy as well, Mr. Neal reminds me of the boy who cried wolf too many times.

If you look at another of my posting you will also see the difference between the testing at the German laboratory and the NIJ Vs. What the Military considers important in testing scalar armor. It was a post in response to Mr. Patriot.

Best Regards

Posted by: Allan Bain at May 22, 2007 04:07 PM
txzen is offline   Reply With Quote