View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:36   #71
thesushi1413
Asset

I was assigned to CCC a few months after this action took place. (May, 1969) When I arrived, Col. (then SFC) Bob Howard was the Recon Company First Sergeant. My first impression of this man was that he was someone you always paid attention to whenever he spoke. He had a presence that made him stand out in any room, no matter how large. I was an inexperienced new guy in an organization of exceptionally professional, and ,sometimes, legendary soldiers. The SOA/SOG mission demanded a constant and elevated attention to detail and a willingness to expose oneself to additional dangers when it came to planning and execution of missions, a fact that made my head spin and my heart beat ferociously in my chest as First Sergeant Howard explained the scope of the unit's mission and my role in it at my initial in-briefing. He pulled no punches when he described what I'd be doing and where I'd be doing it. He definitely made an impression me, one that I've never forgotten. He expected much of us and I think we delivered as a unit. He was Bob Howard - how could you ever think of disappointing him?! If anyone has read this, please know that I couldn't resist commenting when I saw the post containing his MOH Citation. I'm proud to say that I served with the man, no matter how briefly, and that I will never forget him

Jay Holland
RT South Caroline
RT Ohio
B Co, Hatchet Force