Thread: Running shoe's
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12   #23
kawika
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Since I don't see the Army changing APFT run time standards any time soon, I hope you can keep up your race pace while running barefoot.
Just did 400 meter intervals with the team. Beat everyone with 80 percent(ran a 100 percent 400 and took 80 percent of that) of 1:13 barefoot for 5 repitions. Pretty stupid because it was wet outside and the ground was freezing and Ihurt my foot, but hey i rarely bring shoes to work anymore.

I have a track background. Just started doing the whole barefoot running thing. I think its a good idea if you know what you are doing. The biomechanics are completely different and if you have run in racing flats or sprint shoes then you know what im talking about.

That being said 99 percent of people I see running around bragg arent doing it correctly. I usually see people with 5 fingers or even worse 5 fingers/nike frees on treadmills pounding away like an elephant and that make me cringe. I really wish the whole 5 finger fad would go away. Seeing people doing olympic lifting with 5 fingers is even worse(dynamic jumping/weight bearing exercises). If your really gonna do it, running truly barefoot will help as the VFF's can hide alot of the pain. A big thing I found when I first started using them was you run ALOT slower for awhile. I made the transition when I was consistently running 6:30's for my 75-85 percent runs. The first few months its a struggle to run any faster than 8 per mile for any length of time. So if you have joint problems etc, the lower speed with effective biomechanics is what I beileve helps alot of people out. Usually when you run slower than 8 minutes per mile there seems to be more of a tendency to not midfoot strike.

And hes right, for speed work you need racing flats. I use inova 8's currently and thats a really good alternative and alot smarter than barefoot running. You don't see anyone running professionally using POSE running and there is a reason for that, despite what those elitest pricks want you to think. I'll be the first to admit I don't have the answers or else id be a professional runner(half of them are clueless but naturally gifted). But the POSE running crowd reminds me of the military athelete/MA crowd.....if your not doing our program your an idiot.

But anyways back to the OP's topic. Look into INOV-8. Traditional design shoe any many models weigh as much if not less than VFF's. Doesn't look goofy and performs better for running

Last edited by kawika; 12-07-2010 at 02:22.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote