Thread: SFAS Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 12:28   #144
N0MAD
Asset

SFAS 003-19 January 2019 Non-Select Advice

I was a non-select following team week for class 0003-19 January 2019. After permission was granted here are my lessons learned from the course:

- Pack everything on the packing list including those recommended items. You or another candidate will use it.

- Ensure the foot powder packed falls within the standard of non-medicinal. If it says medicated or contains menthol it is an unauthorized item and will be confiscated. Gold bond is medicated, do not waste your money.

- If you attend a winter class I would highly suggest packing multiple sets of silk tops and bottoms. You will sweat, and after the silk becomes soiled it will lose some of its heat containment properties.

- The best set of boots are those broken in over an extensive training period. I brought three pair and multiple inserts. I used them all.

- You are always being assessed. Do not choose to do the wrong thing, even if your entire bay is. The cadre will identify those who are sleeping when not allowed ect. Don't be that guy.

- Eat everything you're given. You will burn every calorie consumed, especially in a winter course.

- If you cannot pass the first week events you do not belong there. Nothing is in itself difficult. Walk fast, Run fast.

- Land navigation is a test of your skills over very long days when you are already tired. The key is to plot and then to MOVE. You can obtain all your points, but you cannot do it if you don't step off with a purpose.

- Pack everything required on the packing list for each event. I watched multiple candidates get removed from the course after a random shake down. Follow simple instructions.

- You will carry, move, drag, push heavy things all day long for several days during team week. If you are good at carrying heavy things but can't tie knots, then self identify so that those who are skilled and get your team moving faster.

- You are capable of moving further and faster than what your body tells you that you can. You will figure this out quickly if the cadre conduct a takeover. Do not let it get to that point. Move with a purpose.

- I learned more about myself in those 20 days than by any other single event in my life. Following my out counseling I was informed that I would allowed to return within a year if I wanted to. I chose then and there that I would be back. I believe the cadre saw potential in my failings and would not have invited me back had they thought I did not have what it takes to succeed.

- I had the opportunity to interact with those candidates who had quit or been withdrawn for failing to follow instructions before my return to Ft. Bragg. Words cannot express the depression of those individuals realizing their own self failings. Do not put yourself there.

Cast or tab. Don't quit.

-John Wooden
N0MAD is offline   Reply With Quote