Thread: SFAS Advice
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 20:32   #138
RedHawk12
Quiet Professional

Class 006-17 Selected

I have been reading this particular forum since I first considered Special Forces what seems like eons ago. I am forever grateful to the guys who brought back their lessons learned, both successful and unsuccessful, as well as the sage wisdom of the QPs here. My .02 from my own experiences at SFAS:

Packing list:
o Bring the 2 quart straws from the packing list and change the bite valves out for camelbak bite valves. A lot of candidates didn't bring these items, and it showed when they became dehydrated.
o Bring the bed sheets and pillow. It may seem silly, but it will prevent you from using either your woobie or sleep system which is supposed to be in your ruck. It will save you time.
o Bring lots of socks. And body glide. I used body glide on my feet before each ruck, and I never had any hot spots. Its just one method, but to each their own.

Physical Prep:
I used the Military Athlete 8 Week SFAS Prep program and was well prepared for the events. I was also able to recover relatively quickly after the events and after SFAS as a whole. I highly recommend it.

General:
You will see a lot of the same things repeated here on the forums, and you will more than likely hear them again when you get to SFAS. There is a reason for that. Chief among them: "focus on the 25m target" and "don't quit". This is the best advice anyone can be given who wants to go through SFAS. When asking what the key to success is, most people will answer "don't quit". To some this will seem like an oversimplification, but it truly is that easy. Just don't quit on yourself, and don't quit on your team. I'd add that another key to success training for and at SFAS is: listen. These forums are bursting with knowledge on how to be successful, on how to cultivate the proper mindset and physical attributes that are necessary. Find mentors within this community; seek out their knowledge and listen to what they have to say. When they talk, keep your mouth shut and your ears open; take notes and study. Continue this while you are at SFAS. Be a sponge. This tends to lend itself to more than just SF and the military in general.

If you have not read through every page in the SFAS Advice forum, you should start there.

Just one man's thoughts. Thanks again to the QPs for hosting us, and good luck to the future candidates.

Last edited by RedHawk12; 04-10-2017 at 07:00.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote