View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 13:35   #80
Buck
Quiet Professional

Great thread on personal medical kits, one question though

SwatSurgeon, and 18D's..

On one of my teams one time and old 18D was giving a sucking chest wound class, and how to make a field expediant flutter valve, to release preasure, when patient is experiencing a hemothorax. He showed to take a 10 or 12 gauge needle, then cut one finger of a latex glove, drop the needle through the opening of the glove finger you just cut off, so it is sticking out the end of the glove. Then take scissors and cut a V on the open end of the glove finger you cut off. This creates an expedient valve to relieve preasure, but doesn't allow air back into the chest. After reading through this thread, I didn't see anyone mention valves they use for decompression on the needles, just needle lengths to avoid heart sticks. I'm just an 18B, so sorry if I butchered any of the medical terms. My question is either to Swatsurgeon, and any 18D's, have you ever heard of this being used, did it work, or is this a total waste of time to ever consider it, if so, what would be better.

Buck