Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 20:20   #52
x SF med
Quiet Professional

since I do a lot of sailing now, I have a lot of gear that is "dual purpose" - when racing you always have to be pepared for an emergency, and the gear has to be portable.

Now to ask a question to answer a question - should I be thinking as a trained 18D, or joe anybody,with minimal if any training? I'll break it into 2 parts for the med gear.
1. Just your average joe - a good basic prepackaged first aid kit should work - anything else is going to overwhelm the user. You don't want anything but basic meds - aspirin, acetominophen, ibuprofen (yes all 3 - they do lsightly different things), oil of cloves, a good triple antibiotic ointment, betadine, possibly a basic broad spectrum oral antibiotic, anti diarrheal, WATER PURIFICATION (betedine, bleach, heat tabs, something...) contaminated water will kill the patient. Blankets, basic splints. That should cover the novice for a medical kit.
2. for the 18Ds - go big or stay home - rebuild your full M5 for the field - to include the stainless items, meds and a splint set - you will be the 1st trained provider - 'nuff said.

A lot of wrong can be done itf the untrained try to practice medicine - I think that's a subject I won't touch - it took 15 months of training and a couple of years of hands on experience under senior medics and docs in hospitals to get really good. for the average joe - join a volunteer ambulance squad, take classes, and keep your skills up.

Escape fear.
1. a good marine band vhf handheld rxtx - at least 5 mhz as a top end with scannable wxband - mine is a rechargeable (wall or car or boat) and was about $150, wt about a lb, at West Marine -it will pull all 9 NOAA stations, and all 99 mb freqs - open and closed - commo is escape gear.
2. a diesel vehicle - mine gets 44mpg - at slow speeds near 50mpg and 700+ miles to the tank - and it will burn #2 heating oil so I can siphon from farms, fuel tanks, semis, and homes (get a mi-t-vac it's great for siponing, and a pela 6000 oil extractor -it's got a 2 gal holding tank)
3. Rope/biners/seats, blocks, pitons, gloves
4. Knives - a good survival (I need to find out how to get on the list for the Yarbrough, all the links are broken), a 'rope wrench' - rigging knife, and a couple of good folders.
5. foul weather gear - breathable
6. packable food
7. water purification / canteens
8. lensatic compass & maps (old school), and a handheld waas/whc gps
9. boots!!! hi-tec magnums are a good all around - and my issued Chips are still in great shape for a heavy duty
10. sleeping bag and poncho liner
11. if you are not in my state a rem 700 chambered 7.62 Nato, zeiss 40x400 passive ir scope, and ammo to your desired weight level
12. again if you are not in my state - handun of choice see ammo note above.
13. chem lights
14. dual purpose short baton / breaker bar
15. piezo electric flashlight and an led tec light ot two, small, lightweight, and bright (non tactical, right)
somebody else take over, this ruck is nearly full - I'm assuming this is a nontactical, true get your ass out of this AO situation - right?
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote