View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 17:45   #23
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Gentlemen,
No one has listed the science/theory behind each component they want to carry.....we need to put real medical theory/facts into play here. Everything you want to carry takes up space and is weight on your person. Everything should have a "real" purpose, not a perceived purpose.
I could carry saran wrap and duct tape and nothing else from what I am reading in these posts......
Your life could and will depend on what you choose to carry. Let's make it the absolute right equipment..for the right reasons and the right uses.
Next.....

ss

I will begin to argue your choices with facts that you may/may not have thought about or heard before, from a trauma surgeons point of view. As an example, 2 significant studies demonstrated that a 3 inch chest decompression needle will make it into the majority of male chests and over a 4 inch could cause serious injury to either lung or heart if placed incorrectly. Less than 3 inches has a 35-40% miss rate into the thoracic cavity.
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)

Last edited by swatsurgeon; 06-11-2008 at 17:49.
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote