View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 10:55   #17
WRMETTLER
Asset

TS
I’ve had a Foster press set up for at least 20 years. I use it for all single stage reloading from 223 through 300 WM. I really love it. No shell holders to set up, and it hasn’t broken yet.

I do use the Dillon 550 (older than the Foster) for some .308 and .223, and all pistol loadings. If you find the right powder, it throws a very accurate charge. I use Unique or Bullseye for .45 and 9mm and TAC for .223, and have found that with 10 throws the total weight for all 10 throws doesn’t vary more than 1/10 of a grain.

For more accurate 223, 308, 300 WM and 6.5x’06, I weigh each charge using a beam scale and a powder trickler. I can achieve a very low standard deviation with reloads that are probably very accurate – if only I was a good enough shot to find out.

I trade with Dillons because they have good stuff (if you know what to buy) and have a very good return, repair policy. Also, they are close by. I buy all my dies and other components from Bruno’s by Deer Valley Airport. They are expensive but they are convenient as well. Hard to find components I buy off the auction websites. Buying good powder right now is difficult.

My only suggestions: buy a micrometer cartridge headspace tool to confirm the set-back for the sizing die. It takes the guess work out of setting up the sizing die. I use this one and it works. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod33476.aspx

Also the competition dies with micrometer-adjustments are easier to adjust for accurate resizing and bullet seating.

Reloading is fun and relaxing for me. Problem is you can’t drink beer while reloading.
WRMETTLER is offline   Reply With Quote