View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22   #118
BrokenSwitch
Guerrilla

Quote:
Was there/is there any patches/badges issued for little more than just showing up?
Just the unit insignia, because otherwise the uniform is just a fancy button-down shirt with matching pants... and socks...

Some merit badges only take an hour or two of effort to earn, but nothing should be "given." As a summer camp merit badge counselor, I've seen kids who show up for attendance, and then goof off the rest of the time. The nice thing about attendance is that I can then go chat with their scoutmasters. I've found that sometimes, kids are actually pressured to earn certain merit badges, and didn't want to be there in the first place.

I've also seen kids who did all their work at home, and just needed a counselor to sign off. As long as they had fulfilled all of the badges' requirements to standard, I signed them off. If they did not, they were given instructions for how to improve.