View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 22:49   #115
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Tell us more, please. Enquiring minds want to know...
It's NOT our NZSAS Selection Course.

It's called the Aumangea Assessment Course, formerly called the Ranger Course.

It was run 3 times as a pilot course in the last 3 calender years. I was on one of them, and I was requested back to help with one of them. It's been picked up as an official course and will be running again shortly and I've been asked to help out on it again with some input on phase activity planning and management.

The course concept received top cover from a senior officer who served in the disbanded NZ Ranger Company.

The course was designed and is managed by a bunch of great fellas with a pretty deep level of experience in NZ SF.

I'm not trying to make it sound more than it is, just trying to put it into words that might roughly translate to the US and a mostly US audience on this forum. I'm NOT trying to compare it favourably to Ranger School or SFAS. If it came across that way, I apologize. I'm just trying to provide some background of my limited direct experience, the perspective I'm coming from, and what I'm hoping to do with my young boys.

From the individual activities I have read about, watched on video, or discussed with graduates of Ranger School and SFAS, it would appear there are a good number of common denominators with many of the activities on this course, as best I can tell, and again coming from my limited experience.

As I previously stated, I learned first hand from both sides of the fence a little bit about the definition of mental toughness and the psychology behind such activities and am keen to learn more to help both sets of "boys".

I'm in this thread to see what I can do for my own two boys to help them develop into good young men who may wish to pursue excellence a couple steps past their dad.

I'm also on this forum to try and learn as much as I can to try to bring something to the table in terms of increasing the size of the phase activity "menu" and make a tangible contribution to the course I have gained so much from and hopefully make it better....and provide value for my other "boys".

So on a couple of levels I'm here to learn.

In long discussions with some of our SF guys including our course manager, our course has been described as offering a "slice" or "taste" of what the foundation of SF is all about, starting with performing the basics of soldiering to the highest possible standard.

It's not a well known course, but I hope to play a part in making it a well respected course moving forward.

I'm happy to share more, but I don't want to upset anyone by taking it so off topic.

Feel free to PM.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote