View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 13:47   #1
Shar
Guerrilla

WP grad killed at Costco in NV because he was carrying CCW

Erik Scott was an acquaintance of mine from years past. He was carrying a weapon, someone freaked out and the police overreacted and killed him. It's a travesty - especially now that the police seem to be lying. If you read in the comments there are plenty of people who were there and saw the entire thing. His girlfriend was with him, he was minding his own business browsing Costco. He was an entirely decent and wonderful man.

I'm just sick over it and I fear for good men and women who carry legally.

3 Officers Involved in Shooting at Summerlin Costco
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 1:32 PM PDT Updated: Jul 12, 2010 10:14 AM PDT
Video Gallery
ON THE SCENE: Man Killed in Officer Involved Shooting
2:23
Erik Scott Erik Scott

LAS VEGAS -- Three Las Vegas police officers were involved in a shooting at a Costco near Charleston and Pavilion Center in northwest Las Vegas.

Police have released few details about the shooting, but say the suspect was shot by three officers while exiting the store, He died from his injuries. Friends and family members say the suspect is Erik Scott, a West Point graduate, and in his 30's. One friend said Scott was at Costco to pick up a prescription.

"The individual was shot -- its out in the open area right near the tire store. He was transported to UMC where he was pronounced dead at that point," said Metro Capt. Patrick Neville. "He had a weapon on him. I know the question is going to come up. The weapon is laying right out in front of the store. We also found another weapon when we transported him to the hospital."

The incident happened just before 1 p.m. Saturday. Police were called when Costco workers saw the suspect destroying merchandise inside the store. Someone noticed the suspect had a gun and store security evacuated customers and employees.

Police say when they approached the suspect, he drew a weapon and pointed it at officers. After refusing to drop the weapon, three officers fired multiple rounds, striking the suspect numerous times.

Costco employee Brenda Franklin says the scene was frightening. "We were told to immediately evacuate the store. No one told us why. They just told us to get out of the store. We immediately dropped what we were doing and exited. As soon as I got to the front door, I heard about five shots," she said.

There were no other reports of injuries. Officers credited the Costco security staff for evacuating everyone out of the store in a timely manner.

The officers are on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. The confirmed identity of the suspect will be released by the Clark County Coroner's Office.

http://www.8newsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=12785291