Thread: TQ Protocols
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 02:13   #5
SRT31B
SF Candidate

Just like as an MP we have levels of force that must be followed, as a civilian EMS employee you have SOP's that apply as well. You respond to a situation a certain way because thats what local protocol/medical director says to do. A lot of that comes down to liability in the civilian world. It's a CYA type thing. Knowing when and where those protocols apply though, and when you can "bypass" something is the important thing.

If a jack hole runs at me with a gun, I don't have to try and use IPC or USD skills on him first, I am allowed to go straight to deadly force and cap the guy. If you respond to an MVA and a guy got his arm partially amputated and has a severe arterial bleed, jump straight to the tourniquet first.

Its all about knowing WHEN and WHY to jump to the next level. As long as there is a justifiable reason for doing so, and you don't exceed the scope of your practice, then you're golden. Theres a common sense factor that comes into play. Not everyone can figure it out on their own though if its not in black and white.

If you have a real concern about something, check your local protocols and ask your medical director as he's the one thats paid to make all those decisions.
SRT31B is offline   Reply With Quote