View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 21:32   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Multiple Bombings in Southern Thailand

A number of the QPs here are very familiar with the Kingdom, and many of us have been to the places hit. Not sure if it is relevant, but these bombs went off on the queen's birthday.

There as been a Muslim sepratists insugency in southern Thailand for years. However, the provinces involved are well south of these bombings.

Hua Hin
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37049989

Thailand bombs: Hua Hin resort hit by twin blasts

Two bombs have exploded in the Thai resort of Hua Hin, killing one woman and injuring 19 people including foreign tourists.
The bombs were hidden in plant pots spaced 50m (164 ft) apart, and detonated by mobile phones within half an hour of each other, police said.
Local reports say the woman who died was running a food stall in the area of the blasts.
Five foreigners are reported to be among the injured.
Twin bombings are a regular occurrence in Thailand's three southern provinces, which are wracked by an insurgency, but it is rare to find such attacks in Thailand's tourist areas.
Briton Mark Gainsford told the BBC he had been in a bar near the blasts: "I heard people shouting 'Bomb! Bomb!' but I didn't hear any blast.
"I ran out to see if I could help. I saw eight to 10 people injured, on the floor. The police arrived very quickly."
Hua Hin, an upmarket coastal resort on the Gulf of Thailand, is popular with foreign and Thai visitors.
Its royal palace is famous as the preferred home of King Bhumibol Adulyade.

Patong Beach, Phuket

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...b/3036384.html

1 injured after bomb explodes at Phuket’s Patong beach: Reports

PHUKET: At least one person was injured after a bomb exploded at Phuket’s Patong beach, an area popular with tourists, according to local reports.

Bomb disposal officers were dispatched to diffuse another bomb at the nearby Loma beach, The Nation newspaper reported.

At least four people have been killed and more than 20 injured in multiple explosions at three other locations in Thailand – Hua Hin, Surat Thani and Trang – since Thursday afternoon.

Two loud blasts were heard in the Thai seaside resort of Hua Hin on Friday, according to a Reuters witness said, just hours after two other blasts killed one person in the popular tourist destination south of Bangkok.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-3...e=news_central

Thailand blasts: More explosions strike southern Thailand

A series of blasts have hit southern Thailand, hours after two bombs killed one and injured 19 in a seaside resort town.
Late on Thursday twin blasts killed a local food vendor in the popular tourist town of Hua Hin, near the capital Bangkok.
On Friday, the town was hit again by at least one blast at the clock tower.
Another bomb went off in the popular beach resort of Patong, on the island of Phuket
At least three people have been killed and dozens injured across Thailand in Friday's blasts.

I've also heard there was another bomb in Trang. This city is the furthest south of the all the other locations mentioned (roughly between Krabi and Songkla), and closer to the conflict zone, and the only one not a resort town full of foreigners.