Thread: Ankle Holsters
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39   #35
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
FWIW I recently bought a smart carry for my 3.25" bbl Taurus .45. Took a little fooling with it to figure out exactly how to position it but then it was GTG. To me it's surprisingly comfortable (yes you know you have a .45 in your pants, but it's not bad) and I can carry a pistol with 20rds of .45acp while wearing gym shorts. No shirt/shoes required. Wore it all day (8-10hrs) standing and sitting the day I got it to test it out and once adjusted right it works fine. Seems like it might get warm if sitting for long periods in the summer, but I don't know that for a fact.

I have a ruger LCP .380 with a pocket holster, that I bought for concealment unde light clothes or when I was too lazy to wear something with a belt. Now that I have that Smart Carry I have been taking the .45 every time.

The pistol rides in front of the family like a jock barrel pointed down, and works as long as you don't wear nut-hugging pants. The weight is distributed evenly on both hips which is a plus in my book also.

Naturally if your belt/pants are too tight in the waist one might have issues with the draw, and with a seatbelt on, it wouldn't exactly be the fastest draw when sitting in a car...but I'm sure like with anything, with practice it could be done.

$5.00 mil/retired mil discount on my order.

YMMV.
I've been using the SmartCarry for over a year nearly every day. Here are some things I've learned that may be helpful to you.
  • My EDC is an M&P 45fs with a Crimson Trace LaserGrip. Using the SmartCarry permits me to easily have the XTI Procyon weapon light always installed.
  • Where the muzzle rests becomes a wear point on the outside of the SmartCarry. Mine was completely worn through the blue denim in around 6 months. I ironed on a denim patch and it gives me another 6 months of wear before I remove it and add another.
  • Since the size of the grip is the key driver for concealment in this (and most other) configurations, I carry the 45 with 11 rounds (10 round magazine and one in the chamber). The neat thing about the SmartCarry is that it easily accommodates the 14-round extended magazine as a spare. 25 rounds of 45 is a good thing.
  • I carry an LCP for a BUG in my front pants pocket with a 6-round magazine and one in the chamber. Although I bought the SmartCarry with the optional "security" pouch for other reasons, I now use it to carry a spare LCP magazine that accommodates 15 rounds. Again, grip size is not a critical factor for the second magazine. Now I've got 25 rounds of 45 and 22 rounds of 380. Works for me.
  • "While driving" ideas.
    • I added a ClipDraw so that I could holster at 10 o'clock while driving.
    • This cross-draw configuration has some additional good attributes. It keeps it out of the way of your passenger whether family member or stranger, adult or child.
    • It eliminates the necessity to "sweep" the steering wheel to engage a BG at the most likely point of engagement, i.e. the driver's side window.
    • As I've described elsewhere, I am now experimenting with using a messenger bat as a go-bag for both first responder supplies and survival supplies. I carry it on my left side, so I am now experimenting with "holstering" the M&P 45fs in one of the messenger bag outside pockets. Fits nicely and is easier to draw than with the ClipDraw. If I commit to the "Jack Bag," I'll likely remove the ClipDraw.

I'll add pictures of any of this if that would help clarify what I've described above.