View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 06:32   #14
nmap
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
Clearly the problem in these countries is corruption.
But is it really? As an experiment, let us suppose a perfect country with perfect, wise, and absolutely honest leadership. (Talk about an extreme assumption....).

In the experiment, the aid gets to the intended recipients. People act as they usually do, with the net result of more people. In addition, health aid might get through, resulting in decreased mortality, both infant and otherwise. Therefore, the population should increase at a rate at least as high as Nigeria - which is 2.38%. If we round that up to 2.4%, in just 30 years the population will double.

I question whether any leadership, anywhere, can uplift a country for the existing population plus the rapidly expanding new population. I question whether aid can keep up with such increases. By putting off the problem, we make the problem worse - and honest leaders would paradoxically make things worse.

It's true that no one likes to hear the conclusion. And I agree that people will not accept it. The results should be interesting.

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote