View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:01   #5
CSM-H
Quiet Professional

Otis Berry, SF???

Leoinho, Thanks for putting the old "bio" up.....that was pretty is much where I got my info....and then I see he is at a new location, once again claiming former special forces....CSM-H

PS: in his listed awards he doesn't even list rigger wings.....hummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
On his bio page at his previous gym, he listed 3rd. He's not SF - no need to try to disprove that. He uses the familiar "in Special Forces" puffery that so many support/attached personnel do to give laymen the idea they have tabs.

I think it was decided he must have been a rigger, if his old bio is to be believed. He listed a lot of HALO jumps, which if true, I'm sure some one here will remember him.

Here's a post I made at Lightfigher when someone asked about his gym in 2009:
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...6414#793106414 (I think you have to register to read the thread, so I pasted my post below.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost hate to bring this into this thread, but you need to know that your Krav Maga instructor Otis Berry is, at worst, a SF poser or, at best, has allowed a purposefully misleading bio to go unchanged.

http://www.jeffgordonmma.com/j...onmma/page.asp?ID=33

From the above webpage:

"Otis Berry
Chief Krav Maga Instructor

Otis Berry brings an impressive military background to Gordon's MMA. He served for six years in the Third Special Forces Group of the United States Army, where he made over 200, static line parachute jumps and HALO (high-altitude-low-opening) jumps. He is a graduate of the Army Airborne School at Fort Benning, Georgia, and the Army Sniper School at Fort Lewis, Washington. Otis acquired Akido expertise while in the Special Forces and subsequently attained a black belt in Chung Do Kwan. He also has extensive experience in Muay Thai Kickboxing and Chi Na. Otis grew up in Springfield, Virginia, where he was state champion in the 400 meter and 800 meter track & field events. Otis is one of only 30 Instructors in the United States with a Black Belt in Krav Maga. He has also been Certified in the US Army Level 2 Combative Program. He has taught combative programs at such military bases as Ft. Hood and other special operational bases. Otis is also a certified law enforcement Instructor and has lead many special programs for law enforcement and security personnel."

Yeah, someone might argue that he left some wiggle room by saying "served for six years in the Third Special Forces" and "acquired Akido (sic) experience while in the Special Forces." But I don't buy it. If I say I was in SF I'm telling you I was SF, not a rigger that packed chutes. And he wrote that bio to give people the impression that he was something he isn't.

Socnet has already covered it. http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=85123

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CSM-H is offline   Reply With Quote