View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 00:16   #72
andwerise
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post

1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
etc etc etc

1. Yes. I can even claim the full ascension from Tiger Cubs (First Grade) through Eagle Scout. Add Order of the Arrow in there for good measure.
2. Yes. 3 days before my 18th birthday. Got distracted by the 'fumes...gas fumes, perfumes, etc...But got it done and I am damn proud of it.
3. Being in 2 smaller/newer troops and being the only one also active in varsity sports, I was thrust into many official/unofficial leadership roles. Also utilizing manpower in my Eagle Project prepared me for running a semi-varsity cycling team in College and managing a few bands also.Working under scoutmasters with no outdoor experience seems like an experience I will fall back on later in life as well. I will be sure to update this once I have some military experiences to comment on
4. Absolutely. Just wish I had come to my senses a long time ago.
5. Would really like to see the military more active in scouting. In my 12 years in scouting I never once spoke with a recruiter, and rarely saw them at local jamborees/scout world events. I understand that may just be my troop or district, but I can certainly say if I had been in contact with QP's or other soldiers while in scouts I may have made some very different decisions.

All this talk about Scouts reminds me of a great movie line from "Red Dawn", when the Cuban Colonel lists off the qualifications of the mayor's son, one of the Wolverine Guerillas fighting in the mountains: "member of an elite paramilitary organization: Eagle Scouts". Always makes me grin

Last edited by andwerise; 02-02-2011 at 00:20.
andwerise is offline   Reply With Quote