View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24   #65
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
1. Yes, Cub Scout, Weblous (Arrow of Light), Boy Scout, Order of the Arrow, Scoutmaster
2. Yes, made Eagle just before 18 and pinned it on during delayed entry.
3. Give me lots of field craft and self confidence. Phase 1 just honed those skills I already had and only thing new as patrolling.
4. Not nessesary as I already planned a life in the military (USAF brat) however when hiking in Philmont when I was 17 the experience of being out alone with 12 guys humping a ruck in middle of nowhere threwout the thought of going into the Marine Corps as a tanker. Ended up enlisting on a SF contract less then a year later.
5. Baden Powell started the Boy Scouts as a stepping stone to the military. Some of my fondest memories was as a 24 yr old Scoutmaster in Bad Tolz, Germany taking the scouts through the Alps and Italy (course fathers were all SF too)

CD
I was a scoutmaster when I was at TASCOM, in Worms, Germany in 1970. My wife and I took the troop to Garmich by train on a ski weekend so that we coulf avail the services od the Ski Patrol of the Armed Forces Recreation unit there. Most of the scouts were the sons of high ranking officers including the grand son of LTG Eifler.

When we changed trains in Munich, several of the scouts didn't wait until the train stopped but jumped off with their ruck sacks on. As I chewed them out, one boy , whose father was a colonel smarted off to me about how I was just a sergeant and his dad outranked me.

Before walking into town from the barracks provided to the troop by AFRC, I told the troop to get their jackets because it was going to be colder on the hike back. The same boy who had gave me crap at the train station mothed off about how he didn't want to get his jacket and I couldn't make him because I was only a sergeant.

I put my arm around his shoulders and walked him around the corner. When we were out of sight of the troop, I told the boy that if he didn't mind me I was going to kick his ass. I explained to him that his father outranked me, but he didn't. I also told him that if he wanted to tell his dad when we got back to Worms that he could.

We walked back to the troop and the boy went into the barracks and got his jacket.

My wife asked me what I said to the boy and all I would tell her was that I used "CHILD PSYCHOLOGY".

When we got back to Worms, I was standing with General Eifler when the boy and his dad approached. The dad started to say something to me but changed his mind when he saw the general. Instead, he thanked me for straightining his son out.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote