View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 04:47   #18
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Wasn't there rumors that the barracks they hit in the Son Tay raid was full of Chinese troops? Also I heard a rumor they killed a Russian or two on that raid?

I know I read a book where a guy claimed they got into a firefight and the bodies were Asian but big guys and they guessed they were Chinese from Northern China in NVA uniforms. It has been too many years now and I cant remember the book or the details.
There are two or three books and at least that many articles.

eta: That mention personnel at the second camp that were larger than typical Vietnamese. Also the story of one Raider who found the belt buckle he had taken from a body was a Chinese Officers uniform buckle. One article states that same officer turned in photos and a statement in an operation debrief indicating such a thing.

Quote:
According to the Captain Udo Walther, Simons' executive officer for Greenleaf, “It wasn't a secret that there were Chinese there (at Son Tay), and it wasn't a secret that there were a bunch of them.” Walther stated he took photographs on the scene of dead Chinese and that he informed his debriefers of their presence during the attack. He does not know where his photos went once the film was turned over. - Son Tay - A Story of Success (Part 2) 01 July 2005 Greg Walker
Quote:
Colonel Britton offloaded the Simons group and flew to his holding area. The raiders under Colonel Simons were immediately engaged in a furious firefight with what appeared in the darkness to be well-armed Chinese or Russian soldiers. With the advantage of complete surprise, his men killed more than 100 of them within the next few minutes. Colonel Simons hurriedly called Colonel Britton back and reboarded his men for the quick flight to the prison. Remarkably, there were no assault group casualties. - The Son Tay Raid By C.V. Glines
Interesting article here, but I haven't yet found much about the author.

Quote:
HO CHI MINH’S FOREIGN LEGION

One intriguing aspects of the Vietnam War, still shrouded in mystery and half-truths, concerns the foreign communist volunteers who assisted the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese forces. During the war thousands of Russian and Chinese advisors were stationed in North Vietnam and South Vietnam. They primarily worked as technical advisors and military engineers, and were usually stationed in the Hanoi-Haipong area. Outside that, there is little or no awareness that these Russian and Chinese advisors, assisted by Cubans, North Koreans, East Germans and other communist influenced nationals also served as advisor to the North Vietnamese forces fighting inside South Vietnam. Although described as ‘advisor’ they also took an active role in combat operations; as a result, some were killed and others were captured.

http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/LuisSilva/00000018.htm

Last edited by sf11b_p; 07-09-2012 at 11:07.
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote